With this being our first Christmas away from our home state of Minnesota, we knew that even if we were going to start some new traditions of our own, we had to keep some old ones going. Some of our new traditions included opening a Christmas bag on Christmas eve that held a new set of Christmas P.J.’s, a bottle of Bailies Irish creme, hot cocoa mix, snacks and a Christmas movie to watch and eating sea food for dinner (we indulged in oysters!). Some of the old traditions included making our favorite chubby cinnamon rolls for breakfast (get the recipe here), exchanging personal christmas cards and ornaments, having mimosas on Christmas morning and making a J.O’s favorite salmon spread.
I was lucky enough to be handed down this family recipe for a cracker spread that my husband goes crazy for every Christmas!
So, if you want to make it, here is the recipe
You will need:
- 1 lb of smoked salmon (canned salmon works well too)
- 8oz od Cream Cheese: softened
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Franks Hot Sauce (or tabasco)
- 2 tbps green onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups mix of chopped parsley and nuts (walnuts, pecans, macadamia..whatever you prefer!)
- Mix Salmon with all ingredients except nuts and parsley.
- Using hands, get messy and shape mixture into 2 logs; roll logs into nuts and parsley on waxed paper and wrap up tight.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before serving with crackers.