When you live in a 5th wheel and you don’t have a ton of room for multiple pots and pans, one dish meals become a gift from god. The down side is that many of those meals are heavy carb and meat loaded and by the time all is said and done, I either am not in the mood to make a salad or creating a side of veggies sounds very filling. And we know we need to get in our veg!
So my solution to this has been to roast my veggies in large batches. Roughly two to three times a week, I make up a large batch of various chopped veg that I roast and we incorporate into various meals; including breakfast, lunch and dinner. Having a sealed container of ready to heat and eat veggies makes our meals healthier and tastier.
The recipe is really easy and you can customize it how ever you want with what ever is in season! But here is what I do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil
- Chop up a few of our favorite veggies
- Place all the veggies in an empty garbage bag to season with olive oil, salt and maybe some other spice (we enjoy cayenne pepper or cajon seasoning) and shake up!
- Bake for roughly 30-35 min (because we reheat our veggies, I like them to be a little more on the al’dente side.
- I then drain the juice reserve by either placing the veggies on a sheet of paper towels or into a strainer (depending on what I have roasted: squash, tomatoes and other softer veggies will get smooshed in the stainer).
- Store in an air tight container and I’m good to go!
Like I said you can use almost all veggies for this and change it up by the season, the week or whatever you have on hand. To give you an idea of what is typically in our batches, here is what I put in this latest batch. I don’t measure out for this, so it’s all rough estimates.
- 1/2 Zucchini chopped
- 1/2 Eggplant chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled & chopped Carrot
- 1/4 head of Cauliflower chopped
- 1 cup of chopped Asparagus
- 1/2 cup shelled Edamame
- A handful of frozen corn
- 1 cup of chopped Butternut Squash
- 1 cup of chopped Kale
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 5 Large Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup Green Beans chopped
This almost filled our 10.8 cup container and should last us on average 2-3 days (like I said, we love our roasted veg)
Give it a try and see how much easier it is to get your family to eat their greens! This is also a great way to get your veg on when going traditional camping. Roast it up before you leave and put your container in the cooler; it would heat up great over an over fire when placed in aluminum foil!