When J.O and I first started to travel together, I had a really hard time dealing with the days when I would receive the phone call from him explaining to me that something came up at work and he’d be late; no idea of a timeline when he would be home. I won’t plan on him for dinner on these nights and I have found that sometimes this can be a blessing in disguise: I have a night to get creative in the kitchen, try something new, taste it and if it turns out horrible, I have enough time to either make something else up for him for when he gets home or have a new and tasty dish ready to eat! This has worked out great in the past year for our living a healthier lifestyle while on the road. Read more about that by clicking, here.
Tonight was one of those night and with not much in the house other than our staples, I was ready to try something new. I wanted something healthy and yummy. So, I came up with my own Salmon-Kale-Quinoa Cakes. I was a little worried about the outcome at first, but these little babies turned out fantastic (if I do say so myself). I had mine with simple roasted asparagus, but a mix of any veggies would be great! Check out our roasted veggies recipe, here.
Here’s what I used:
- 1 6oz can of salmon
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Kale
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- Dollop of plain greek yogurt
- The juice from 1 lemon + a few slices of zest
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Sliced Avocado
- In a food processor pulse together all ingredients except Egg, Salmon, Yogurt and Olive Oil until a minced texture.
- Add in Salmon, Yogurt and Olive Oil and blend until just combined (I wanted mine more chunky, so I hardly blended them.
- Use your hands and mush in the egg and bread crumbs (like you were making meatloaf)
- Form into 4 cakes
- Coat a nonstick pan with Olive Oil and heat.
- Sear cakes until golden brown on each side (roughly 3-4 min per side)
- Serve with sliced Avocado or sour cream
•You can also bake them on a cookie sheet coated with olive oil at 350 for about 30 min, flipping half way through.