Moving out to Hawaii we have encountered many new foods that we have come to love and one of my favorite are Acai Bowls (pronounced “Ah-sigh-ee”). They are sold everywhere here, coffee shops, cafes, road stands and for obvious reasons; they are fantastic, nutritious and keeps you full for hours.
For those of you that don’t know, the Acai berry is from the amazon and unlike most other berries is 95% seed; meaning you can only eat the skin and small potent meat around the seed. They are considered a Superfood with many health benefits that include: heart health, antiviral, aid in weight loss, promotes skin health, improves skin health, energy booster and even an anti ager. Read more about their benefits by clicking, Here.
I would could eat these things for every meal, but due to the fact that they are roughly $7-8 a bowl, I limited my self (plus that wouldn’t be so great for my healthy life style eating habits, read more about that here.) So, I bought a blender and now I make them for myself whenever I please. I give mine a little added twist to give myself some extra greens and protein too They are a GREAT post workout meal too.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 packet of frozen Sambazon Acai Packet – order online or find it in the frozen fruit section at your local health food store. I find mine at Costco for roughly $1.25/packet
- 1 banana-1/2 put into blender and the other half sliced for a topping (you can also use any fruit of your choice)
- 1 cup of frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 1/4-1/2 cup Odwalla’s Original Superfood juice, Apple Juice, Coconut or Soy milk
- 1 scoop of 100% Whey Protein Powder (I like chocolate)
- Honey to drizzle
- Granola is optional
- Blend together all ingredients until smooth, adding in more juice/mile if needed.
- Top with sliced banana or any fruit, honey and granola or just eat plain!