Typically once a week I do “clean out” of our produce. I like to use up the scraps to make various dishes and clear up some more space in our little fridge for new and fresh veggies. Whether it’s incorporating chopped peppers into our sloppy Joes, adding some cucumber to that days lemon water or making up a batch of roasted veggies to have with some quinoa, we like to use up every last morsel!
One of our new favorite “use it up” dishes to make is a cold Italian quinoa salad. This is a great dish that I was inspired to make this past summer after my parent’s neighbors brought me a similar version. I love it because there is no right or wrong and you can add in or take out whatever you want! It’s also become a popular item for me to put into J.O’s lunches as it’s something he can nibble on, I know he’ll get his veggies all while staying satisfied throughout the day (or night).
Below is what I included in this weeks salad, but feel free to change out the cheese (mozzarella is a supper yummy option!), veggies (I love adding in baby tomatoes, spinach, artichokes, & mushrooms) or even add in chicken. The sky is the limit which is what I love about this! There’s no real measurement for the veggies since I’m using up our left overs from the week, but I’ll give you an idea of how much I ended up with. Have fun with it! The main ingredients are the quinoa, the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black olives, seasoning, cheese and veggies.
- 1.5-2 cups cooked Quinoa
- ½ cup chopped brussel sprouts
- ¾ cup chopped kale
- ½ cup chopped eggplant
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ – ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ – ½ cup chopped black olives (we love our olives!)
- ¼ cup feta
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil (parsley is great to add in too!)
- ½ – ¾ cup Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Cook your Quinoa and let it cool.
- Either sauté or roast your brussel sprouts, kale and eggplant with some Olive oil and garlic salt. This time I sautéed them and left all the other veggies raw, as I wanted some crunch
- Mix together all the cooled and chopped ingredients and serve cold.
I’d love to hear what you come up with!