Every once and awhile, J.O and his crew will grill up some goodness to get them through a long shift. This past time they grilled up a bunch of Jerk seasoned chicken drummies and even had a bunch left over to bring home! Because J.O was a little “drummed out” we decided to use up the meat in another dish: Chicken Tortilla Soup.
This soup turned out to be one of the most flavorful soups we had every made. I originally was inspired to make this from a pin I saw on pinterest.com; but, as always we made it into our own. We used our own taco seasoning as a guide for what spices we would add then we added in a bunch of herbs some fresh vegetables. There is no corn or rice in our version, but like many traditional chicken tortilla soups, you could definitely add it in!
If you’re grilling up your own chicken before hand, I highly recommend using a jerk seasoning. It gave the soup an extra smokey flavor.
You will need:
- 1 lb of Grilled and Chopped Chicken (skinless and boneless)
- 1 Can of Spicy Rotel (chopped tomatoes with green chili’s)
- 1/2 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Jalapeño with the seeds and vein removed: minced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbls Oreagno
- 3 Tbls Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes or Cayanne (or both if you’re spicy like we are!)
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbl Salt
- 6 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth (we used Vegetable)
- Combine all ingredients in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow flavors to combine for 20 min.
- Serve with chips, Salsa and Guacamole!